Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Penne alla Vodka

...from Cook's Illustrated p 10. This was heaven! I've made vodka sauce recipes from Everyday Italian, Emeril, and Rachel Ray. I love Emeril's- before becoming vegan This one is fantastic and I feel the best of the bunch. I even licked my plate ;) I used Rain vodka- my fave. (I first tried it at Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort KY- it's an organic vodka made by bourbon people but oh my good!) I substituted a can of chunky crushed tomatoes for the can of whole tomatoes- my personal perference. I added the full amount (1/2 t) of red pepper and a little extra garlic. Unfortunately the store didn't have fresh basil so I subbed some rehydrated Penzeys. What a dinner on a work night- YUM!!!

I used just a bit of rice milk for the creaminess and it worked.

I think I need to try this again with pepper vodka as rec by CI and maybe adding peas like a dish from my local Italian restaurant and maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment