Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tempeh Ruebens

I did love a Rueben back in the day. I have tried making Ruebens several times and think that I like this version based on Vegan With a Vengeance best. First, I pan fry a few slices of Smoky Tempeh Strips (fakin' bacon). Then spread spread a wee bit of butter (Earth Balance) on each piece of pumpernickle bread- I prefer this to the more traditional rye. Place one slice of bread in a preheated skillet (nonstick or not- your choice) and layer the tempeh strips, some sauerkraut, and a bit of the dressing. Top with the remaining slice of bread, flip when ready, and serve with pickles, chips, or whatever to-go-with you like. The cheese is left out- I do like vegan Monterey Jack cheese but it doesn't add anything but calories to this sandwich. The recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance adds some pickles and avocado slices. I would love some avocado but chose to leave it out. Pickles will be served on the side. I also found some yummy sounding soup at Whole Foods and thought that would be a good dinner on this rather cold windy day.



A Dressing for Reubens very loosely based on Thousand Island
very loosely because I do not like ketchup or sweet pickle relish. I added some chopped pickles and pickle juice.

1/4 cup Veganaise (I like this brand the best.)
1 teaspoon pickle juice
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped pickles
1/4 teaspoon onion powder or 2 teaspoons minced onion
2 teaspoons capers
1 heavy tablespoon Gates Extra Hot BBQ sauce
pinch cayenne

This is good but not at all sweet. But that's how I like my dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment