Sunday, January 14, 2007

Diet Change

I haven't been posting much although I cooked up a storm over Christmas break. Why?? Because of the China Study! I don't remember how I heard about the China Study by T Colin Campbell but I read it over break along with Healthy at 100 and others by John Robbins. I think I read about it in the Healthy at 100 book which was mentioned in VegNews mag that I found and liked. I also found a website by Ruth Heidrich and ordered her CHEF (pretty much all about vegan and raw) cookbook and Senior Fitness. I have also read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and Eat to Live and Disease Proof Your Child by Joel Fuhrman (mentioned on the veganlunchbox.com). Add to that What to Eat and Food Politics by Marion Nestle and I feel I've worked towards a degree in nutrition!

I've decided to significantly cut down on processed foods and animal protein. So far so good. The processed foods went out this summer although I miss my Special K with strawberries. After New Year's jerk pork, good bye most animal protein. I'm not vegan- I still will have a bit of cheese or some shrimp/seafood on the weekend- and well, when I visit my in-laws. I paid close attention to Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Eve and Day dinners and there was very very little that I would have been able to eat. That will come but not yet.

I found myself craving greens this summer- what's up with that?? I also ate vegan for two days and then entered by diet information into this site http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/login2.aspx
and was very surprised at two things- how full I felt and how nutritious my two days were. I did get frowny faces for dairy which I found funny! I hate milk although I love cheese.

The challenge will be to cook for me and for my DH who loves loves loves his meat!

So far so good! it's 12/08 and i've gone and edited out my nonvegan recipes- just couldn't take them anymore on this blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment