Sunday, January 14, 2007

Polenta-Sunflower-Millet Bread

This made a very soft yet crunchy bread- I loved it. The maple syrup (replacement for the honey) added sweetness without being too maple-ly. I didn't miss the honey.

Polenta-Sunflower-Millet Bread
The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensberger

2-pound loaf


1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons sunflower seed oil

3 1/4 cups bread flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup polenta
1/4 cup whole raw millet
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons gluten
2 teaspoons salt


2 1/2 teaspoons SAF yeast or 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast


Place all the ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions.

Set crust on medium and program for the Basic or Whole Wheat cycle; press start. (This recipe may be made using the Delay Timer.)

When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let cool to room temperature before slicing.


My notes:

I used maple syrup instead of honey.
I used Hodgson Mill cornmeal instead of polenta- I had it and it seems to have a coarser grain.
I made the 2 pound recipe but set the machine to dough. Then I removed the dough and divided it between two loaf pans, let it rise for about 30 minutes or so and then baked it in a 350F oven for about 30 min or so. The 30 is a rough guess- it could have been closer to 45. My kitchen was very warm this day and it was closer to 30 min for the rise in the pans.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorites from Hensperger's book. Thanks fro sharing!

    ReplyDelete